Developed by cardiology in 1989, now used for non-coronary interventions.
- patient comfort / convenience -
Barbeau Examination — consists of modified Allen's test using a pulse ox
- A -
- B -
- C -
- D -
- Heparin 3000 u
- Verapamil 2.5 -5 mg
- Nitroglycerin 200 mcg
- Micropuncture set
- 5 Fr slender sheath
- Jackie or Sarah catheter, 110cm
- 150 cm microcatheters
- 5% risk of radial artery occlusion which is clinically insignificant if the Allen test is normal.
- Radial artery spasm, can be avoided by the use of local vasodilators.
- Perforation of the radial artery is very rare, managed with compression. Rarely does it require vascular surgery intervention.